Lassi Kettula has 25 years’ experience in practicing law as an attorney and he has successfully engaged in many high profile and complex litigation proceedings. The proceedings have, amongst other things, regarded different liability and interpretation issues related to commercial agreements and acquisition matters, shareholders' and technology agreements, torts and product liability, and liability actions directed against board members, managers and auditors. Several assignments have included liability issues in occupational safety, EU law, use of public authority, and construction. He has acted as an arbitrator in arbitration proceedings conducted in accordance with the ICC rules, the Arbitration Rules of the Finnish Chamber of Commerce as well as the Finnish Arbitration Act.
He also has expertise in demanding mergers and acquisitions and he has represented both sellers and buyers.
In addition to dispute resolution, Lassi advises our clients in corporate law and contract law matters as well as in risk control, including also questions of international contract law and product liability.
- Master of Laws (LL.M.), University of Helsinki, 1989
- Trained at the Bench, 1993
- Attorney-at-Law, 1995
- Merkurius Attorneys Ltd, Partner | CEO 2018 –
- Merilampi Attorneys Ltd, Partner 2000 –, Senior Associate 1995 – 2000, Associate 1993 – 1995
- Litigation and Arbitration
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Corporate law
- Contract law
- Liability issues
- Advising Katepal Oy in its acquisition of a Norwegian distributor
- Advising Turva Mutual Insurance Company in a matter regarding product liability
- Advising KiiltoClean Oy in its acquisition of Farmos
- Advising Kiilto Family Oy in the sale of Metalpak Oy’s whole share capital to Swedish Emballator Metal Group
- Advising Lassila & Tikanoja Plc in different questions of interpretation relating to contractual matters and in matters relating to occupational safety
- Advising Metso Minerals, Inc. in the sale of its Tampere foundry to Tevo Oy
- Represented Metsä Board Corporation in a case regarding interpretation and ending of a perpetual contract made in 1895. The Supreme Court held in its preliminary ruling that the company had the right to terminate the contract and that the term of notice had been reasonable. The Supreme Court dismissed all claims brought by the adverse party.
- Advising Otso Metsäpalvelut Oy in different questions of interpretation relating to contracts
- Acting as the chairman of Panostaja Plc’s general meetings over several years and advising Panostaja Plc in contractual questions of interpretation
- Represented Peab Ltd. in the first group complaint tried in Finland in which the Finnish Consumer Ombudsman demanded compensation on behalf of a consumer group. The Consumer Disputes Board dismissed all claims brought by the Consumer Ombudsman. Advising Peab Ltd in liability issues relating to building contracts
- Representing the Republic of Finland in litigations regarding e.g. the use of public authority and liability issues with relation to EU law
- Advising Saarioinen Oy in a matter relating to founding a joint enterprise
- Advising ThermiSol Oy in different types of accounts and liability questions relating to commercial agreements
- Representing Valmet Technologies Ltd in a matter related to interpretation of a licence agreement
- Representing the seller in an acquisition regarding Vexve Oy
- Acting as an arbitrator in arbitration proceedings conducted in accordance with the ICC rules, the Arbitration Rules of the Finnish Chamber of Commerce as well as the Finnish Arbitration Act
- Chambers Europe and Global, Dispute Resolution (2020): Lassi Kettula frequently represents clients in contractual disputes and product liability cases. Sources describe him as ”very business-oriented and sharp at understanding the cases," with one interviewee also appreciating his ”analytical skills."
- Chambers Europe and Global, Dispute Resolution (2019): "Lassi Kettula of Merkurius Attorneys Ltd focuses on contractual and M&A disputes as well as product liability and occupational safety disputes. He represented Turva Mutual Insurance Company in a product liability case concerning an electric bicycle. Clients describe him as ”always to the point and easy to deal with."”
- Chambers Europe ja Global, Dispute Resolution (2018): "Lassi Kettula is frequently involved in contractual and product liability disputes, and has considerable expertise in tort law. Clients note that he provides an ”excellent service and understanding of the commercial issues."”
- Chambers Europe ja Global, Dispute Resolution (2017): ”Clients describe Lassi Kettula as ”excellent.” His practice includes product liability and liability actions directed against auditors, board members and managers. His scope of expertise also extends to construction, EU law and use of public authority.”
- Chambers Europe ja Global, Dispute Resolution (2016): ”Lassi Kettula’s recent experience includes cases concerning construction, manufacturing and corporate issues. He represents clients in complex litigation proceedings, notably in connection with issues of liability. Also experienced in disputes in the pharmaceutical sector.”
- Legal 500, Dispute Resolution (2016): ”Merilampi Attorneys Ltd ”always keeps its promises and lives up to expectations”.”
- Chambers Global, Dispute Resolution (2015): ”Lassi Kettula is a respected litigator whose expertise covers disputes across a broad range of subjects. Areas of notable expertise include EU law, product liability, contract law and corporate issues. He receives praise from clients: ”He has vast experience and can really handle the issues. He has been tested in several cases and he presents himself clearly and picks out what is relevant in a case fast.”.”
- Chambers Europe, Dispute Resolution (2014): ”Sources recognise Tampere-based Lassi Kettula as a ”strong analytical litigator” and an active presence in numerous complex litigations.”
- Legal 500, Dispute Resolution: ”Lassi Kettula is ”very reliable, hardworking and a tight negotiator in reconciliations”.”
- International Law Office (ILO): Client Choice award winner 2014 for excellent client service in the field of Product Regulation and Liability